The Cathedral has a long history of involvement in education. This is now focused in the life of three schools

Cathedral School of St Saviour & St Mary Overie 

In 2004 the Cathedral School of St Saviour and St Mary Overy celebrated 300 years of teaching the children of the parish. The school is located in Redcross Way, though over its history it has occupied a number of sites in the immediate area, the previous one being the building now occupied by the Southwark Diocesan Board of Education.  The school continues a close association with the Cathedral - the children come to the Cathedral regularly to celebrate the feasts of the Christian Year and the clergy visit the school to lead assemblies.

Further information about Cathedral School can be found here

St Saviour's and St Olave's School

St Saviour's and St Olave's School was founded as a grammar school for girls in 1903. It belongs to the St Olave's and St Saviour's Schools Foundation, which can trace its history back four centuries to the time of Queen Elizabeth I. Two ancient grammar schools, the St Saviour's Grammar School, which was granted a Charter by Queen Elizabeth in 1562, and St Olave's Grammar School, which received its Charter in 1571, were among several educational institutions supported and financed by the voluntary efforts of the citizens of Southwark and finally amalgamated in 1899 into the present Foundation.

The school first opened on the 26th January 1903 with eighty-four girls in the premises of St John's Elementary School.

The present building was completed and opened by their Royal Highnesses the Prince and Princess of Wales (afterwards King George V and Queen Mary) on 14 March 1903, a date kept as the School Birthday and marked each year by a Service of Commemoration and Thanksgiving at Southwark Cathedral. Since then the school building has been adapted and enlarged to meet the needs of modern education.

Further information about St Saviour’s and St Olave’s School can be found here

St Olave's

The school, in its current form, was established from an agreement in 1896 between two schools, St Olave's Grammar School (founded 1571), and St Saviour's Grammar School (founded 1562). (Its sister school, St Saviour's and St Olave's School, was re-established as a girls school in 1903). The school was founded for the parish of St Olave in Southwark (1096-1926) which was named after Saint Olaf. 

Originally situated on the south bank of the Thames in Southwark in Tooley Street (the street name is a corruption of St Olave's), the school moved to Orpington in 1968. Though the parish of St Olave was absorbed by the Cathedral parish the dedication of the two parishes continues in the schools.

Further information about St Olave’s School can be found here

St Olave's and St Saviour's Schools Foundation

The Foundation was created in order to support the work of the schools. Its offices are at:

5-11 Lavington Street
Tel: 020 7945 6007

When the boys' school moved from Southwark to Orpington, the Foundation established a Fund to support children and young people through education, the arts and sport. The Fund welcomes applications from individuals and groups in the London Borough of Southwark for grant aid. Details of the requirements of applicants and an application form can be obtained from the Foundation's offices.

Further information about the St Olave’s and St Saviour’s Schools Foundation can be found here